We had a short trip to Canada in Jan 2012 and in addition to having a break we wanted to compare it with Australia for living. The following is solely my own opinion so others may think otherwise! In the comparison I was mostly having Sydney and Toronto in mind.
Things cheaper in Canada:
Thing cheaper in Australia:
- Mobile plans
- Car insurance
Things better in Canada:
- People are more into fashion and look better on the streets!
- Shops close late in the evening
- Take care of migrants better (We got unsecured $1000 CAD credit card from RBC on day one!)
- Advantages of being close to US
- Big cities are more multicultural
- (For Iranians) Much more Iranian restaurants, shops and businesses
- People in general have higher education levels
- Wide highways
Things better in Australia:
- Competition at work is less. More relaxed work environment.
- Nature’s beauty
- Salaries are slightly higher
- New year’s fireworks!
- More holidays from employers
- Better social rules (driving, etc.)
- Public transport system
Bad things in Canada:
- More competition at work and probably longer work hours
- You do not see the final price of goods on the label as it depends on tax ! funny !
Bad things in Australia:
- Shops close early in the evening
- Everything expensive
- Less competition in big businesses
- Minor hidden racism in some places/people
- More poor refugees
- Less property construction
- Less high rises in big cities
- Narrow roads