These are the reasons why I will never install a Linux on my personal Mac or PC as the main OS, at least for now.
I have to stress that these are more of a taste and the way I use my computers and might not be an issue for other people.
I also have to say that I work with linux servers in my day to day work and love them but in the desktop world I doubt Linux has a place yet. I even have an Ubuntu desktop on another computer at work that I use for some tasks.
- As long as there are articles in the Linux world starting with “how to install” that means things are not yet user friendly
- All I need from linux is a terminal that I have in Mac or I can ssh to a remote linux machine
- Linux does not have Facetime
- Skype is dodgy in linux. You will never know whether your audio card will work in the next release of linux or not!
- Many apps do not have proper/strong counterparts in linux or if they have it is dodgy or buggy: Libre Office crap; different messengers all buggy, either video or audio not working properly; graphics editors, nothing close to photoshop; sound editors, don’t even think about it; Evolution/Thunderbird vs Outlook haha…
- You always have to look for the drivers. Whether my webcam, printer, this and that work in linux or not.
- For simple tasks you have to waste your whole day on Internet searching and finally someone suggested on their weblog that you have to put a flag on a config file for that thing to work!!
I didn’t mean to hurt anyones feelings, just for a bit of laugh 😉